The Abbey of San Nicola at Rodengo Saiano is an important monastic complex, founded by the Cluniac order around the 10th century. From 1469 onwards, management passed into the hands of the Olivetan Benedictines of Monte Oliveto Maggiore, then new priors of Rodengo, who gave the church a new lease of life, expanding its cloisters and hosting important Brescian and Lombard artists within its walls between the 16th and 17th centuries and in subsequent periods.
In use again by the faithful from 1969, the complex has resumed its original purpose and function. Thanks to a major restoration, which involved the monumental gallery and cloisters, the Abbey has returned to its former glory and is now one of the most splendid monasteries in northern Italy.
Among the most important works are Moretto’s altarpiece with St Peter and St Paul (1545), Grazio Cossali’s large painting of the Nozze di Cana (Marriage at Cana) (1608), both in the church, Floriano Ferramola’s Crucifixion in the refectory and Romanino’s frescoes in the guesthouse refectory.