Pieve di Santa Maria di Pie’ del Dosso (Parish Church)

The Pieve di Santa Maria di Pie’ del Dosso, located on the route of the Roman road between Val Trompia and Franciacorta, was the centre of the civil and religious organisation of Gussago. The current appearance of the Romanesque church is the result of various changes over the centuries, which have embellished and enriched it with incredible details and frescoes.

The bell tower, dating from around the 9th and 10th centuries, has a quadrangular shape with a terracotta spire, while the belfry has four rounded single lancet windows. The parish church houses the incomplete sarcophagus of a high-ranking warrior from the 8th century, known as the Mayorans pulpit, with bas-relief engravings of Christian symbols and a knight symbolically crossing over to the afterlife, probably made from an adaptation of a Lombard sarcophagus.

Pieve di Santa Maria di Pie del Dosso
OthersAbbeys and churches

MAIN PARTNERS

logo michelin
CNMI Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana
Porsche Carrera Cup Italia
1000 Miglia

TECHNICAL
PARTNERS

Slow Food
Parmigiano Reggiano
Calvisius
Acqua Panna
San Pellegrino
Valoritalia

EDUCATIONAL
PARTNERS