Piazza Cavour has been the beating heart of Rovato for almost two centuries. Easily recognisable by a semi-circular portico with square columns, which surrounds it to the north, and the slightly sloping cobblestone pavement, it is one of the jewels of the famous architect Rodolfo Vantini.
The work was endorsed in 1838 by the Provost Carlo Angelini, and had the aim of creating a suitable space to host the market. Its construction required the demolition of the castle’s southern walls, which dated back to 1453, and the covering of an ancient moat. Vantini’s project, however, preserved the castle’s entrance and the imposing central arch that led to the entrance of the parish church of Santa Maria Assunta and the historic centre of Rovato.